St. Louis Hall was the first building added in the modern-day St. Mary’s campus; construction of the building was finished in 1894. St. Mary’s initially established near the San Antonio River walk. St. Louis Hall was originally named St. Louis College and started as an all boys boarding school. In 1904 a full college-curriculum was added and later in 1927 the name officially was changed to St. Mary’s University. Finally, during the 1960s St. Mary’s University became a co-ed campus.